Build new friendships at scosa!
Having the opportunity to socialise on a regular basis and form friendships is important to all of us. At scosa, we give you the opportunity to socialise in a wide range of environments.
We offer an extensive range of interesting activities that take place each week in small group settings, including:
- art therapy
- dance therapy
- a wide range of sports
- shopping excursions
- DIY sessions at Bunnings
- cooking classes
- walking groups
- photography classes
- community lunches at local cafés and pubs
- day trips to places of interest such as the Zoo and Adelaide Oval
There are many positive benefits and outcomes associated with our social events and activities that include:
- opportunity to form new friendships
- increased social and community participation
- increased confidence and self-esteem
- enhanced mental health and wellbeing
- improved communication skills
- increased fitness
- enhanced sensory stimulation
- increased fine motor skills
We constantly review our activities and venues to ensure that you are gaining the greatest benefit and enjoyment from your time at scosa, and encourage you and your family/carers to provide us with feedback and suggestions for new ideas.
In addition to our weekly activities which vary throughout the year, you will have the opportunity to participate in our hugely popular major events, where people from all over Adelaide and others parts of South Australia come together to celebrate your talents and abilities. It doesn’t matter whether you have a very outgoing personality or if you are more shy and reserved, these events are designed to enable everyone to participate in a way in which you feel most comfortable.
Our major events include:
- Performability – where scosa teams come together to stage plays and musical performances. You might want to act, sing or perhaps you would prefer to be “behind the scenes” by helping to design and build the costumes and stage settings. This is an incredibly fun event where you will have the opportunity to reveal your talents to your friends, family and scosa peers.
- Soccer Showdown – another big day on the calendar and whether you are ambulant or use a wheelchair, games are structured to suit all levels of ability. A fantastic day where participants from all of our Hubs come together for some healthy competition and most of all fun!
- Sailability – have you ever sailed before? During the summer months you will have the opportunity to sail on the Port River under the expert guidance of members of the Port Adelaide Sailing Club. It’s an incredible experience and as the wind blows through your hair, you will often find dolphins swimming right alongside you! Our sail boats cater for people of all abilities and at the end of the season we all come together to celebrate with a big day of sailing and fun in the city on the River Torrens, right behind Adelaide Oval.
- scosability – so are you an artist, a dancer or a sporting star? At scosability you will have the opportunity to showcase your talents as this is a day where we come together to play boccia and bowls, paint, participate in creative dance and so much more! We are joined by hundreds of people from across the community to celebrate your talents and achievements.
- scosa Disco – do you love to dress up and dance? The flare and colour comes out for our annual scosa Disco! A fun event with lots of laughter, dancing and not to mention a great opportunity to meet new people and catch up with your friends in a relaxed and friendly environment.